World Tourism Day is an opportune time to dust off those travel to-do lists and make some additions for all the future trips you’ll be able to take in NSW.
Driven by insights about the types of trips that travellers are craving most when lockdown lifts, we’ve gathered the best Sydney and NSW experiences on offer so you can start planning your next holiday now. From Sydney icons, hidden beaches, gourmet food trails, mountain adventures, luxurious getaways and more – NSW has it all.
Minister for Jobs, Investment, Tourism and Western Sydney Stuart Ayres said: “We’re all keen to get out and travel once again, and with strong vaccination rates in NSW we expect that will be possible soon. Now is the time to start planning your NSW roadtrip or uniquely Sydney staycation – what better way to reconnect with friends, family and even yourself than to make unforgettable memories while exploring our spectacular State.
“This World Tourism Day let’s celebrate the joy of travel, the amazing attractions and experiences on offer across NSW and the local tourism operators who make our State not only a must-visit destination but one to return to.”
Here are 30 memorable NSW tourism experiences to fuel future travel:
Rejuvenation: 60.7 per cent of travellers are seeking utter relaxation
With picturesque landscapes and luxury settings, Sydney and NSW know how to help travellers unwind.
- Feel like you’ve got a tropical island all to yourself at Capella Lodge on Lord Howe Island, where white sandy beaches meet World Heritage-listed rainforest and barefoot luxury.
- Gather friends and family and cruise the calm waterways of the Murray River on a Magic Murray Houseboat.
- Stress will melt away as you linger over golden sunsets on Sydney Harbour with champagne and oysters at TWR bar at Crown Sydney, or get out on the water and bask in the glittering views from the top deck of a Captain Cook Cruises
Awe-inspiring: 41.7 per cent of travellers want to explore somewhere new
The Harbour City always has something unexpected to show off, and NSW is full of hidden gems to uncover your new favourite place.
- Go inside the sails of the Sydney Opera House with a backstage tour of this iconic harbourside theatre.
- Taste the flavours of Vietnam and explore the vibrant migrant history of Cabramatta with Taste Cultural Food Tours. Order dinner with a side of drag at The Imperial in Erskineville and rediscover that desire to dance all night long.
- Learn all about Sydney’s rich and fascinating Aboriginal heritage on a guided cultural tour in the Royal Botanic Garden.
- In Batemans Bay, feel the thrill of shucking an oyster straight from the water on a Region X Oyster Tasting Kayak Tour.
Adventurous: 28.4 per cent of travellers want to take a road trip
Sometimes it’s as much about the journey as it is the destination, and a road trip in NSW leads to endless unique adventures and is the perfect way to reconnect with friends.
- Drive through the Blue Mountains on your way to the Hawkesbury region, picking up baked goods at Black Cockatoo Bakery in Katoomba and taking a selfie in front of the Three Sisters.
- Stop off at the Corowa Whisky and Chocolate Factory on your way to Moama on the Murray River to sip their handcrafted amber spirits.
- Head south to follow the oyster trail in the Sapphire Coast, stopping for a freshly shucked dozen at Merimbula Lake, Wapengo Rocks and Wonboyn Lake.
Freedom: 28.4 per cent of travellers want to feel immersed in the great outdoors
After months of staying at home, it’s no wonder so many of us are seeking out a nature escape. There’s plenty of places in NSW to get away from it all.
- Feel as free as a bird with a scenic flight over the otherworldly rock formations of Mungo National Park.
- Soar with Sydney Seaplanes across the sparkling harbour, finishing with a seafood lunch at Jonah’s on Whale Beach.
- Swim up close to the underwater world at Shelly Beach in Manly on an Ecotreasures snorkelling tour.
- Stay dry and explore the vibrant marine creatures at SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium.
Connection: 19 per cent of travellers are looking to rekindle the romance
Secluded getaways, dramatic views, luxurious rooms – Sydney and NSW can turn it on. Feel the love again at some of the state’s most special stays.
- Seep under the stars in your own Bubbletent overlooking the Capertee Valley.
- Spend the night beside the animals at Wildlife Retreat Taronga Zoo.
- Indulge in champagne and majestic views from an intimate room at Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour.
- Wine and dine your way to romance with world-class dinner and drinks at Icebergs Dining Room + Bar at Bondi Beach or Pilu at Freshwater on the Northern Beaches.
Heart-pumping: 15.2 per cent of travellers want to feel the thrill of a sporty adventure
Adrenaline-seekers, we’ve got you covered.
- Experience the rush as you speed down the sand dunes of Port Stephens on a sand board or quad bike with Sand Dune Adventures.
- Watch in awe as whales glide right past you on a swim or dive with Dive Jervis Bay on the South Coast.
- In Sydney, feel on top of the world and try the new Sydney Harbour Bridge Aboriginal Burrawa BridgeClimb; try to keep your cool on the memorable slides of Raging Waters; and take in the colours, shows, magic views and squeal-worthy rides at Luna Park.
- Learn how to surf at Let’s go Surfing in Bondi, Maroubra, Byron Bay or Ballina, or SUP at Watsons Bay in Sydney with WATSSUP and at Jervis Bay on the South Coast with SUP with George.